One of the most glorious places in all of Africa, Botswana is a treasured country filled to the brim with fascinating ecosystems, incredible culture and an abundance of wildlife.
A country dedicated to the continued longevity of its various life forms, over 40
As a result, travellers visiting this glorious country will be able to experience plenty of thriving, wholly diverse game populations with very little effort.
The pride of Botswana, and pretty much the highlight of any trip to Africa, is the Okavango Delta safari. One of the only two naturally occurring deltas on the planet, the Okavango Delta is beautiful, breathtaking and an absolute pleasure to explore.
With diverse environments including wide open savannah plains, mopane woodlands, lush forests and plenty of winding water channels and pools, the delta becomes home to a cornucopia of life. Not only an awe-inspiring natural phenomenon but, thanks to Botswana’s acute attention to conservation, the Okavango Delta attracts and retains extensive populations of majestic wildlife all year round.
As well as the bountiful Delta, Botswana shares the Chobe National Park with neighbouring countries Zambia and Zimbabwe. A haven for elephants and plenty of other water-loving lifeforms, the Chobe River is a must-see for travellers venturing around Southern Africa. A perfect contrast to the bush-based game drives and leisurely-paced mokoro rides in the Delta, water safaris and cruises along the tremendous Chobe River at sunset will offer visitors a totally new perspective of Botswana’s splendid landscape and life forms.
Adding even more layers to Botswana’s rich tapestry of environments, further contrasts come in the form of the Kalahari Desert in the west and both the Makgadikgadi and Nxai salt pans in the north. Packaged together with all of this incredible natural beauty is a deep history of Africa’s first civilization. Initially settling in the Kalahari, stories of the San population will be shared.
Botswana’s natural beauty, extensive animal life, cultural diversity and commitment to nature make it a sought-after destination for travellers and safari enthusiasts. From the Moremi to the delta, the Kalahari and the salt pans, a vacation in Botswana is one that will never be forgotten.
LANGUAGES English, Setswana, Kalanga, Kgalagadi, Shona, Mbukushu, Ndebele, Tshwa
WEATHER and CLIMATE
- Summer (Dec – Feb): Max 34°C (93,2°F), Min 31°C (87.8°F)
- Winter (Jun – Aug): Max 25°C (78°F), Min 6°C (42°F)
Things to Do in Botswana
From both early morning and late evening game drives to guided walking safaris, Chobe River cruises and more, travellers are spoilt for choice when it comes Botswana’s points of interest.
- Glide through the serpentine water channels in a traditional mokoro canoe, replicated in fibreglass to further help the tree populations avoid deforestation.
- Embark on a Botswana safari tour with a difference, explore the majestic delta on horseback during an enthralling horseback safari.
- Learn all about the forward-thinking conservation-focused efforts of the Botswana government that have helped maintain this wilderness paradise.
- Enjoy a water safari on the Chobe River, spotting incredible wildlife species such as elephant, crocodile, hippo and plenty more.
- If visiting during the green season (from January to March depending on the season’s rainfall pattern), travellers may be able to witness the epic migration where scores of zebra and antelope move in search for new grass to feast upon, followed closely by crafty predators.
Accommodation in Botswana
Either in the heart of the African bush, on the water’s edge or in the Moremi Game Reserve itself, Botswana’s selection of luxury safari lodges and more authentic tented camps are all exceptional.
To experience as much of Botswana’s beautiful, contrasting landscapes and bountiful game life as possible, we recommend staying in more than one location. Travelling between camps is a thrilling experience in itself, seeing charter plane rides in light aircrafts give visitors an incredible bird’s eye view of the country.
Travel to Botswana
One of the most treasured destinations in Africa, a trip to Botswana is sure to leave one with a renewed sense of environmental awareness and a deep appreciation for conservation. With some of the most varied landscapes on the continent, travellers will find themselves moving between different worlds almost daily.
From the magnificent waterways of the Okavango Delta and the rolling dunes of the Kalahari
Need help? Talk to an expert!
Contact African Travel Canvas and we’ll help you book your dream vacation to Africa!