Zimbabwe is a country of astounding natural beauty, friendly locals and fabulous attractions. Home to a number of world-renowned heritage sites, Zimbabwe is a sought-after destination that is particularly popular with travellers looking to venture off the beaten track.
Taking centre stage is the mighty Zambezi River and the adjacent Victoria Falls. Resting between the borders of Zimbabwe and Zambia, the dramatic Falls is one of the greatest natural spectacles on the African continent. One of the seven natural wonders of the world, Victoria Falls is the largest sheet of uninterrupted water that cascades over a 1.6 kilometre-long cliff and drops 110 metres into the Batoka Gorge.
Depending on the time of year, Victoria Falls in full flood erupts with life, showering her guests with clouds of mist. These mist clouds, that can be seen up to 50 metres away, have landed Victoria Falls the nickname Mosi oa-Tunya, or ‘the smoke that thunders’.
Not just a pretty face, Victoria Falls, with her number of adjacent river channels and gorges, offer plenty of thrilling adventure activities to satisfy even the most die-hard adrenaline junkies. From white-water rafting and bungee jumping, to kayaking and gorge-swings, Victoria Falls can be a place of rest for some and a playground for others.
Aside from the Falls, Zimbabwe dazzles its guests with other fascinating attractions, including the country’s largest game reserve Hwange National Park, as well as the four game-rich lakes including Mana Pools, and the largest man-made lake in Africa, Lake Kariba.
With sunset cruises along the Zambezi River, magical tours of Victoria Falls, watching the Big Five in Hwange and unforgettable trips to Mana Pools, Zimbabwe is a magical destination that should feature at the top of any bucket list.
LANGUAGES English, Shona, Xhosa, Ndebele, Tswana, Venda, Chewa, Tsonga, Tonga, Sotho, Chewa, Chibarwe, Kalanga, Koisan, Nambya, Ndau, Shangani
WEATHER and CLIMATE
- Summer (Dec – Feb): Max 40°C (104°F), Min 18°C (64°F)
- Winter (Jun – Aug) Max 25°C (77°F), Min 6°C (43°F)
Can’t decide where you’d like to stay? Contact us today and one of our team of experts will help!
Things to Do in Zimbabwe
When traveling to Zimbabwe, don’t miss out on these amazing activities:
- Enjoy a sunset cruise along the mighty Zambezi, viewing incredible water-loving life forms including crocodile and hippopotamus to name a few.
- Hold onto your hat! Enjoy gorge swinging and ziplining across the amazing Batoka Gorge.
- Discover the thriving buffalo and elephant populations during a number of exquisite early morning and night time game drives in Hwange.
- View the glorious sights of Victoria Falls from a number of viewpoints on a guided tour. If you’re travelling when the water level is high, take a rain jacket!
- Delight in guided walking safaris across the plains in a collection of Zimbabwe’s finest game reserves.
- Travel across Southern Africa in style by embarking on an unforgettable rail journey from Pretoria to Victoria Falls with the Rovos Rail.
Accommodation in Zimbabwe
From exquisite luxury lodges to rustic, more authentic tented camps in the bush, Zimbabwe has a safari style to accommodate any type of traveller. Along with incredible service that comes standard, each accommodation option offers its guests spectacular game-orientated activities and nature-based excursions. Beyond the bush, in the heart of Victoria Falls, travellers staying at the grand Victoria Falls Hotel can enjoy the spoils of a traditional hotel with, hands down, the best views of the Falls around.
Singita Pamushana Lodge
Victoria Falls Hotel
Travel to Zimbabwe
With incredible destinations, entrancing natural beauty and an abundance of land and water-based wildlife forms, Zimbabwe is a country that dazzles its guests.
Discover this enchanting country through a tailor-made tour. We recommend combining a Victoria Falls and Zimbabwe safari vacation with an Okavango Delta experience, and possibly some time spent in the desert plains of Namibia. Contact our team to custom create a bespoke vacation.
Need help? Talk to an expert!
Contact African Travel Canvas and we’ll help you book your dream vacation to Africa!