Joburg, Jozi, eGoli. The City of Gold, Johannesburg, is Africa’s economic capital and South Africa’s hustling, bustling, beating heart.
Dashing, daring and exciting, Johannesburg is a city that never disappoints. Filled with culture, heritage and an energy that can’t be found anywhere else in the country, Joburg will keep even the most energetic of travellers on their toes.
Home to an assortment of museums, heritage sites, monuments and more, those with an interest in learning about South Africa’s political history will find plenty of points of interest. Beyond this, Joburg boasts countless theatres, galleries and museums, each offering insight into modern contemporary South African art, music and culture.
Short journeys outside of the city centre take travellers into the bushveld. With its close proximity to the Kruger National Park, travellers can enjoy exquisite safari experiences with the famous African wildlife, as well as learn about the preserved traditions and cultures of the African tribes.
For those seeking a slice of the finer things, Johannesburg promises fine dining at world-renowned restaurants, luxurious spa experiences for rest and relaxation and plenty of boutique stores and malls for shopping excursions.
LANGUAGES English, Afrikaans, Zulu, Xhosa, Southern Sotho, Tswana, Northern Sotho, Venda, Tsonga, Swazi, Ndebele
WEATHER and CLIMATE
- Summer (Dec – Feb): Max 26°C (78.8°F), Min 15°C (59°F)
- Winter (Jun – Aug): Max 20°C (68°F),Min 4°C (39.2°F)
Things to Do in Johannesburg
When travelling to Johannesburg, don’t miss out on these one-of-a-kind activities:
- Visit the origins of the species at the Cradle of Humankind and learn about the first discoveries of hominid fossils.
- Learn about South Africa’s tumultuous past with guided tours of popular places of interest including the Apartheid Museum, Liliesleaf Farm, the Capture Site and plenty more.
- Take a short trip to the neighbouring city of Pretoria to visit the country’s administrative capital and explore the parliamentary buildings.
- Journey into the heart of the African bush and enjoy a safari experience in the world-renowned Kruger National Park.
Accommodation in Johannesburg
This electric city brings a spark of life in the hearts of all who pass through it. From boutique hideaways in leafy green and peaceful suburbs, to phenomenal, grand resorts overlooking the city, accommodation options in Johannesburg set a high bar of elegance as the standard. Staying in the City of Gold will never disappoint, as plenty of incredible dining, nightlife and activity options are always close by.
Travel to Johannesburg
With plenty to see and do, the city of Johannesburg will keep travellers on their toes. Explore Johannesburg through a series of guided tours to maximize the time in this incredible city.
Pair a stay in Johannesburg with a fabulous Kruger National Park safari and end off your South African vacation with a wonderful stay in Cape Town. Contact one of our team members to custom create a bespoke vacation that suits your travel style.
Need help? Talk to an expert!
Contact African Travel Canvas and we’ll help you book your dream vacation to Africa!