Grootbos Private Nature Reserve is a 5-star reserve located in the dramatic landscape of Gansbaai. Less than two hours away from the hustle and bustle of Cape Town city center, Grootbos Private Nature Reserve is located in an indigenous fynbos forest amongst ancient milkwood trees.
With an abundance of flora and fauna, plenty of outdoor activities and sweeping views of the Southern Atlantic ocean, Grootbos is a nature lover’s paradise.
Accommodation at Grootbos Private Nature Reserve
Accommodation at Grootbos has been designed with elegance and style to complement the luxurious natural setting. The three lodge types at Grootbos include:
- Garden Lodge,
- Forest Lodge, and the
- Luxury Private Villas.
Garden Lodge and Forest Lodge both include a swimming pool, a restaurant, lounge, barista bar, boma, beauty salon and library, while the Private Villa includes a private swimming pool, a fully equipped gym and a wine cellar.
Grootbos’ Garden Lodge boasts 11 luxurious and beautifully designed freestanding suites.
Each suite is elegantly designed to complement the lush garden setting, with light tones and subtle bursts of colour present throughout the decor. The suites come complete with a spacious lounge, en-suite and fireplace for more chilly winter nights.
At Garden Lodge, each suite has its own private wooden deck that boasts stunning views of the coastline. With the chirp of birds above and the scent of fresh flowers in the air, this is the perfect place to spend time with family or connect with nature as you sip a cup of tea and admire the view.
The main area of Garden Lodge comes complete with a swimming pool – that boasts incredible views of the ocean – as well as a fine-dining restaurant, various lounges and a barista bar.
Meandering through a path in the magical Milkwood Forest will lead you to your suite set on a high hill offering perched views of the abundant natural life.
At Forest Lodge, there are 16 luxurious free-standing suites, and its secluded location makes it the perfect romantic getaway for couples and newly-weds.
The suites at Forest Lodge have been designed with luxurious wooden details, seeing high ceilings and expansive windows reflect the surrounding natural beauty.
Similar to Garden Lodge, the suites at Forest Lodge include a lounge with a cosy fireplace, a minibar and a private deck.
The main area at Forest Lodge offers the ultimate in rest and relaxation. Unwind at the infinity pool as you sip a cocktail and take in the unbeatable views of the changing sky, enjoy a treatment amidst trees at the Forest Lodge Spa or delight in delicious meals at the Forest Lodge Restaurant.
Luxury Private Villas
Secluded from the rest of the estate and nestled in the natural wonderland of Grootbos are two luxury private villas of 6 and 4 bedrooms respectively.
Perfect for families and small groups looking for to spend intimate time together, these private villas provide guests with their very own slice of paradise in which to relax, unwind and connect with the surrounding natural beauty.
The 6-bedroom villa can accommodate 12 guests while the the 4-bedroom villa can accommodate 8 guests. Both the 6 and 4 bedroom villas include private pools, a private chef, butler, guide and vehicle ensuring that each guest’s every need is taken care of.
Activities at Grootbos
Perfect for nature lovers and outdoor enthusiasts, there are a tremendous amount of activities to enjoy during a stay at Grootbos Private Nature Reserve.
- Botanical Safari. Explore the natural surroundings and go on a unique botanical safari on board a Land Rover with knowledgeable guides. Learn about the incredible birds, flora and animals that live in Grootbos Nature Reserve.
- Horse Riding. Traverse through the landscape on horseback and slowly trot through the fynbos or ride on the beach as you discover the flora and fauna in the areas.
- Whale Watching. When in season, enjoy a boat cruise to see the famous Southern Right Whales that flock to Walker Bay to calve their young. Delight in a unforgettable experience of witnessing these gentle giants in their natural habitat.
- Shark Cage Diving. Come face to face with one of the world’s most thrilling predators and dive deep to learn more about sharks and their underwater behaviour. Cruise down to nearby Gansbaai which offers the best shark cage diving in the world. For more information, read more about our shark cage diving tours.
- Walks and Hikes. Take long walks on deserted beaches and explore the rich biodiversity of Grootbos. Breathe in the fresh air and immerse yourself in the Cape Floral Kingdom. Take a hike with a knowledgeable guide or discover the surroundings yourself.
- Marine Safari. Witness the Marine Big 5 (whales, Great White sharks, dolphins, seals and penguins), as you enjoy a boat trip led by experienced marine guides and marine biologists.
- Quad Biking. Get your heart pumping and explore the surrounding mountains, valleys and forests on a quad bike. Experienced guides will lead you on an adventure- filled outing exploring the surrounding scenery and landscapes.
- Beauty Treatments. Set amidst the sanctuary of nature and beauty. Enjoy one of the many luxurious beauty treatments offered by specialist therapists using locally-sourced products and ingredients. Treatments take place in the comfort of your own suite or in the fully equipped Bloom Salon
Dining at Grootbos
Dining at Grootbos is a truly memorable experience. Each plate of food is perfectly curated and served as a colourful piece of art. Using only the freshest ingredients, with many coming from the organic farm on the reserve where the chefs harvest ingredients to make the dining experience as fresh as possible.
Meals are prepared using freshly caught fish from the harbour, succulent meats, and vegetables grown on the organic farm accompanied by award-winning South African wines.
Delight in unique dining experiences at Grootbos such as enjoying sundowners of the rocks, food and wine pairings and tours with the lodge’s sommelier, hand-picking vegetables from the farm with the chef to learn about the produce, or forage for mussels with experienced guides before heading back to the kitchen to prepare them with the executive chef. Guests can even harvest their own Single Blossom Erica irregularis honey with Grootbos’ beekeeper.
Children at Grootbos
Grootbos Nature Reserve welcomes children of all ages. Each of the suites and guest areas have been designed to accommodate families with children, including infants.
There are a number of child-friendly activities on offer, making sure that the young one are kept entertained and engaged. There is a kid’s activity area on the same floor as the dining hall and lounging area, which includes a big screen projector, pool tables, library, arts and crafts and games. Here, children are well supervised at all times, cared for by experienced child minders.
Tours and itineraries to Grootbos
- Embark on the Cape Point and Cape Peninsula Tour and stay over at Grootbos Private Nature Reserve before heading up the Garden Route.
- Experience a Great White Shark Cage Diving Tour in Gansbaai and overnight at Grootbos.
Grootbos Private Nature reserve is perfect for nature-lovers of all ages. From families, couples, newly-weds and friends, the estate offers countless custom-designed interactive activities with the environment, food and wine experiences and adrenaline pumping activities.
From breathtaking views to unique travel experiences, bold adventurers and wanderlusts are guaranteed to have an experience of a lifetime at Grootbos Nature Reserve.
Book a vacation to South Africa and stay in this incredible paradise. Contact African Travel Canvas to help plan your trip!